Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Lord Is My Shepherd



Psalm 23 is probably the most read and best known chapter in the book of Psalms. It is short, yet powerful.
A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. -- Psalms 23:1-6
In this familiar passage the Lord Himself takes the title of "Shepherd". The implications of this are huge as we will see. But before we discuss those implications, let's look at a few more examples where God is likened to a shepherd:
Behold, the Lord GOD comes with might, and his arm rules for him; behold, his reward is with him, and his recompense before him. He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. -- Isaiah 40:10-11
"For thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out. As a shepherd seeks out his flock when he is among his sheep that have been scattered, so will I seek out my sheep, and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. -- Ezekiel 34:11-12
I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord GOD. I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them in justice. -- Ezekiel 34:15-16
"As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and male goats. -- Ezekiel 34:17

From these passage we see that God will:
  • Shepherd His people 
  • Reward and punish on the last day 
  • Seek and save the lost 
  • Judge between the sheep and the goats

Now let's take a look at some passages that describe Jesus as shepherd:
"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." -- Revelation 22:12-13
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." -- Luke 19:10
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. -- Matthew 25:31-34
For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." -- Revelation 7:17
From these passage we see that Jesus will:
  • Shepherd His people 
  • Reward and punish on the last day 
  • Seek and save the lost 
  • Judge between the sheep and the goats

What are we to conclude from these passages? As we have discussed before, not only does the Bible affirm the deity of Christ with explicit statements, it also affirms the deity of Christ with beautifully pictured allusions. The above passages fit into the latter category, they are beautiful pictures and allusions that point us to the deity of Christ. This time, not with explicit statements, but with powerful imagery. In these passages God is revealed as the Shepherd of Israel, incarnated in the person of Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity.


No comments:

Post a Comment